Android is a developing platform for many application developers thanks to its open source platform. However, hackers always try to damage prestige of Android platform by exploiting apps. Hackers always try to forge legitimate apps by making malicious app that can steal user data, deliver traditional threats, track user location, and reconfigure user device. During holiday shopping season, cyber criminals target innocent users by offering free app via third party app stores and entice users to give their confidential information. In this info-graphic, we are advising users to stay away from bogus apps that can damage your device.
Some Facts about Malicious App:
- In 2014 year, Symantec classified around 1 million apps as malicious while in 2013, the ratio of malicious apps was 0.7 million.
- The most targeted operating system (OS) is Apple with 84% vulnerability ratio. In 2014, there was 11% vulnerability ratio found on Android OS while Blackberry OS and Windows phone were on subsequent position with 4% and 1% vulnerability ratio.
- There are 7% mobile malware were involved in Adware. Around 11% malicious apps were involved in Sending content.
- Around 22% malware trace user locations while 26% malware deliver traditional threats.
- Around 21% malware were planned to steal user information and the other 13% malware were able to reconfigure the device.
- Symantec in Internet security threat report 2015 identified over 1 million malicious apps, which included 46 new Android malware families in 2014?
- 2.3 million Apps suspiciously behaved like attacking user with malicious ads.
- Around 35% adults use smartphones for online banking, which opens a door for malware author to capture user’s bank details. Such malware author creates fake banking apps and trick users into surrendering bank details.
How Malicious App works:
How malicious app enters into user’s mobile device is a quite interesting task. First, cyber criminals make exciting free app. Then, the app tells users to take free ride of an app via smartphone or tablet. A malicious app asks for user’s personal information or request to access the information. Once the user provides the information, cyber criminals use the information to track, steal or reconfigure device.
Stay Safe from Malicious Apps:
Symantec has prescribed few steps to stay safe from malicious apps, which are as under.
- Ignore third party or unknown app store, always use legitimate app store for downloading apps like Google Play store or apple store.
- By mistake, if any malicious app is downloaded and showing error, then immediately remove the app from device.
- When you download the app, kindly check its source.
- Avoid apps that ask to track your location or any permission that is not necessary.
Recommendation for App Developers:
To boost the legitimacy of apps, every app requires an authentication therefore, Code signing certificate is necessary. By signing the software code, you can ensure buyers that the code is not tampered since it is signed with the certificate. It also removes untrusted software warning being faced while downloading illegal software. Code signing certificate comes with time stamp that assures about certificate validity and authenticity.